What is/will be relation of Flox to Home Manager?

I want to switch from Chezmoi and try HomeManager. I installed it in standalone mode without problems and the switch works, creating files (this is what I tried so far). I don’t think I should install packages with it as this will be a Flox part, but it should be able to manage files and configurations just fine. Will Flox environments support configuration eventually and similar functionality will be used so the default profile could benefit from it or this is not in the scope?

Will Flox environments support configuration eventually and similar functionality will be used so the default profile could benefit from it

yes, it’s on our plan! ultimately we envision an environment as A collection of variables, activation hooks, and packages (source or built) that run in isolation

Technically this can be done even now but in quite manual manner. shell.hook can set virtually anything. Default environment could set a ~/.aws/credentials for example but it would be manual file manipulation that persists outside of env. Two environments would conflict and it’s up to env creator to create pure changes and setting variable like AWS_SHARED_CREDENTIALS_FILE for example, that is created in environment.

With home-manager files would be linked and removed when not needed. I do see a problem that it actually overrides other tools work so it’s not as easy solution.

This seems like a general problem and actually using home-manager could aid some of that.

Thanks for the feedback. I see your point about the configuration being outside the environment. Will create an issue for this and follow up with a link next week after we can weigh a few options.